Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Your Hair Will LOVE You



Emily from Emily K Botanic Studio has A-MAZING treats for your hair. She customizes beautiful floral goodies for your hair, wrist and other wedding treasures as well. Emily is a floral designer by day which you can tell really enhances her ability to create lovely floral works of art.

How long have you been crafting?

Ever since I can remember. My mom is a crafter so she always had me working on a some sort of project. The first craft I ever sold was at a local art group sale, and they were icicle Christmas ornaments made out of beads. I was probably around 5 or 6 at the time.



Did you always craft in this genre?

No, not at all. When I was a child, I would design ornaments or draw pictures. As a teenager, I fell in love with painting on canvas which I still love to do. Also, I've always had a great passion for decorating interiors.

Who or what inspires you?

famous painters/artists, my artsy friends, nature, going to the flea market, traveling, my family

How do you over come your creative blocks?

I take a road trip to visit a friend, go for an intense mountain bike ride, or visit an art gallery.

What defining moment made you decide to turn your hobby into a business?

I've always wanted my own craft/art business but never really knew when, what, or how. After working as a floral designer at a high end florist and making people happy with my wedding designs, I knew wedding work was my niche. I love the work, and there's always a high demand in this market.



What challenges have you found while taking your craft into the business world?

The biggest challenge for me right now is trying to work a full time job as a floral designer while still doing custom wedding orders on etsy.



If someone from out of town were visiting you, what key places would you bring them to? (galleries, coffee shops, parks, museums, etc)

I would definitely give them a tour of the Greenbrier which is a world class historical resort (also where I am a floral designer). I would also take them to the Greenbrier River trail for a bike ride or walk, the flea market on Tuesday morning, the Irish Pub in historic Lewisburg on Pub Quiz night, The Wild Bean coffee shop for an organically grown salad, and Valley View for a round of golf.



Thank you Emily! I loved learning more about you! Craft on! :D

If you'd like to see more of Emily's pretties, head over to her Etsy shop and say hello. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you.

No comments: