Saturday, June 28, 2008

Up Up Applique!

Kajsa from Syko is a very interesting women indeed! She started off as an Ethologist, but her field of study is/was contemporary events. Initially she chose to study Ethnology because she loved folk art so much, and now instead, she's creating it! Her sweet illustrations are appliqued mainly on linens such as coasters, and applique!

syko3

How long have you been crafting?

I got hooked on knitting when I was 14-15, but I have followed my creative parent's various projects with great enthusiasm since I was a child. So I grew up in a creative environment.

syko2

Did you always craft in this genre?

I used to be a passionate knitter, but since I did my first quilt, now over ten years ago my hobby has grown to a home studio. I started to make appliqués on clothes when my daughter was born 6 years ago. At some point I noticed that my naive doodles look quite good turned into appliqués. I have tried many different crafts, but fabric and thread is the media I feel most comfortable in.

syko

Who or what inspires you?

Children's drawings and illustrations for kids, naive folk art, colours, materials (fabrics, buttons, ribbons, patterns), people and everyday life (= my family and friends)

What defining moment made you decide to turn your hobby into a business?

I have always dreamed of doing something creative, I was on maternity leave, tired of my current job and found etsy. I sold quite well on etsy and that was just what I needed to prove to myself and others that I could do this.

syko4

What challenges have you found while taking your craft into the business world?

All the paper work it includes and especially the marketing part, I wish I had a personal manager!

syko5


If someone from out of town were visiting you, what key places would you bring them to? (galleries, coffee shops, parks, museums, etc)


That would depend on the person, of course. I usually take my crafty guests to a great store here in town that sells English quality fabrics (like Designer's guild, Laura Ashley and Liberty) to bargain prices. I would probably take them to the old castle here in town too. And maybe a coffee at Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova, a museum with a nice café.

No comments: